ST GEORGE HAMPNETT CHURCH
The village of Hampnett can be found just over a mile from the town of Northleach. They are in fact so close, that visitors to Hampnett can easily see Northleach’s fine church in the distance.
St George’s is a small Norman church with nave and chancel dating from 1125AD. The southside of the church was broadened and the south porch and west tower added in the 15th Century.
Anyone visiting the church today will immediately notice the wonderful russet coloured stencilling which covers the whole of the chancel.
This recreation of medieval art is believed to have been undertaken by the then incumbent, Rev William Wiggin in 1868.
At the time, the artwork created controversy with the Hampnett villagers who were not enamoured by Wiggin’s artistry. So, they set up a fund to pay for the removal of the paintings.
Fortunately for us present day visitors, not enough funds were raised so most of the artwork can still be seen today.
St Georges continues to provide a warm and friendly welcome to visitors and worshippers alike. For information on services at this church, follow the link in this website.